I cheated a little and used a bread maker to make these buns. If you don’t have a bread maker, spend 5 minutes kneading the dough after step 1 and then leave to rise for an hour until doubled in size.
200ml almond milk
400g bread flour
50g hydra 6 protein powder
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
0.5 teaspoon salt
20g light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Truvia
30g light butter (melted)
7g easy blend yeast
100g mixed dried fruit
For the crosses
3 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons honey
30 ml almond milk
- Put all of the Hot Cross Bun ingredients into your break maker in the order listed, except the dried fruit.
- Leave the fruit to one side to add towards the end of the kneading cycle.
- Set the bread maker to Dough setting.
- Star the bread maker and add your dried fruit 5 minutes before the end of the kneading time.
- Spray 2 baking trays with 1 cal spray.
- When the dough cycle has finished, take the dough out and place it on a lightly floured board. Knock back and shape into 12 pieces, rolling them into balls.
- Place them on the greased baking trays/sheets and cover with a clean tea towel or lightly oiled cling film.
- Allow them to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven the 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Prepare the crossed dough mixture by mixing the ingredients together and putting in a piping bag.
- Make the glaze by heating up the milk and adding the honey – heat them until the honey has dissolved into the milk. Set to one side.
- When the Hot Cross Buns are ready to bake, pipe the cross mixture onto the buns.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until well-risen and golden brown. The buns should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Brush the glaze on each bun as soon as they have been taken out of the oven and then allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
Eat whilst still warm, split & spread with butter!
These are also GREAT toasted when they are a few days old as well!
Macros per Bun